Saturday, January 14, 2012

Saturday Sipper: Bubbly Anchor

Happy Saturday! Here's the second "Saturday Sipper" :)

In April 2009, about 8 months after George and I got married, we took our honeymoon to Jost Van Dyke, a lovely little island in the British Virgin Islands. We had an absolute blast!

Our days were filled with warm sunshine, beach bars, relaxing time together, lots of Scrabble, and lots of cocktails. If you've ever been to the Caribbean, you may have heard of a delicious libation called the 'Painkiller'.

The Soggy Dollar on Jost Van Dyke claims to have the Original Painkiller, and George and I ended up there most afternoons for 1...or 4 of them. This yummy drink was made from dark rum, cream of coconut, pineapple and orange juice, topped with fresh nutmeg.

So. Good.

I did try and create this myself a couple times last summer. It was good, dangerously good. But with all that juice, I knew it had to be packed with calories.

I realized one of the reasons I liked the drink so much was because of the nutmeg. The smell and taste of it helped bring back those fun memories being in the Caribbean with George. Around the same time when I was trying to think of a new 'healthier' cocktail a bit reminiscent of the Painkiller, my husband and I had also discovered Sailor Jerry's spiced rum.

So I started with that, and here is what I came up with.

Bubbly Anchor
1.5 oz Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum
Plain Seltzer
Orange Juice
Freshly grated nutmeg

Fill a large glass with ice, add 1.5oz of Sailor Jerry's Rum (or more or less!), fill with seltzer, splash of OJ, top with freshly grated nutmeg...and really use the freshly grated, it tastes so much better!

This has about 115 calories

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment